Be extremely selective with who you hire.
Have you ever interviewed someone for a job who said they weren’t a hard worker, had tremendous integrity, or wasn’t honest? Of course not. Did you validate their resume during the interview? Did you ask your favorite interview questions? You know, the questions you like to ask because your gut instincts can pick a winner every time? Amazingly this is the kind of “selection process” many organizations use to make $100,000+ decisions!
To become a high performance company or to build a high performance team, ‘selection’ is where you invest your time and money. Hiring the wrong person today is too costly in dollars, time, profitability, and competitive edge. Identifying the right person is the key — and that might not be evident from their resume or their interviewing skills. High performance organizations, Strategic Employers, know that selecting the right personis a structured and rigorous process. Using a structured selection process takes a bit longer, but it pays for itself in the long-term.
A simple, structured selection process might look like this:
- Create a Performance Profile of the job
- Develop a interview guide for everyone on the interview team
- Determine if outside selection tools are appropriate
- Structure an interview process
- Partner with a niche search firm
- Interview candidates using the interview guides
- Interview team meets to discuss candidates
- Top 3 candidates are ranked in order of priority
- Offer is made to highest ranked candidate
There is more detail involved with each step, but you get the picture. The key is to know what you are selecting for in advance — and it is not the job description “requirements”!
Implement a simple, but disciplined, selection process today and you’ll see a ROI through retention and increase productivity.